This blog describes my 24-day traverse of the Pyrenees from Atlantic to Mediterranean, July 2011.
The Pyrenean Haute Route is around 800km with 42,000 metres of ascent.

Map of the route | Schedule

Stages:
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Friday, July 1, 2011

Day 1 - Hendaye to Col d'Ibardin (almost)

1st July 2011

HRP - Day 1

Day 1 began with a 5am alarm call in Glasgow to catch a flight to London Stansted, then another flight to Biarritz, where I jumped on a bus to St Jean de Luz. I then had a 40 minute wait, which was just long enough to buy some food and sort my rucksack before catching the bus to Hendaye.

Hendaye was awash with surfers and beach goers. I spent a few minutes taping up my toes, and getting some photos on the beach before turning left and aiming for the Atlantic. It was around 6pm by the time I got going, so I knew I wouldn't get that far this evening. I was a bit spaced out from the travel and not organised enough to have the compass in my hand, so I repeatedly lost the GR10 markings and ended up just making up my own route to reach the hills above Biriatou.

After 3 hours or so I reached a flat area on a sort of col with grazing wild horses and pitched the tent, and was pleased to have a lie down.


View HRP - Day 1 in a larger map

No comments: